Saturday, September 15, 2018

Three days in.

Good evening folks.
Well, it's been a few days now and I have been spending time doing three things: getting rid of carpets, pulling about a thousand nails and picture hooks from the walls (And I'm still finding them!) and removing carpets and linoleum. Dusty, smelly and grimy work but it certainly makes a difference to the feel of the house.
I think that by removing these quickly it has started to feel more like ours rather than someone else's.

It was important to me to get these jobs done this week and get them off to the tip because my transport left today. Yep, I am now sitting here without a car until my next lot of visitors arrive lol.
The advantage of this of course, is that I cannot get distracted and go off for a little drive to sit by a lake.

Four trips to the tip later we have no flooring in the upstairs and downstairs there is just the lounge to do.
Want to see some pics? This is the room I was working on from the previous post. The original hearth stone is still in place and undamaged. The floors are gorgeous wood and are still in excellent condition with very little signs of replacement work. I love how you can see the light wood where the carpet would have been originally with the wood stained darker around the edges as they did in the "good old days" Most of the wallpaper has been removed though I'm not going to get it all of as the walls will probably have most of the plaster stripped back when the insulation boards go in.

The door to this room was indeed hiding a little secret behind the flat ply. The original door is still there. I definitely have my work cut out to strip it back to the original wood but I'm going to give it a good go as I think this is the only original door left.
Then I got distracted..... Because the stairwell is so dark I thought if I opened it up at the top it would allow a lot more light through. Well, this is still a work in progress so I'll let you know what happens.

Other than that I have been peeling back the wallpapers in the other two bedrooms as well as getting rid of a few spiders along the way. Thankfully not as many as I first thought there would be.
The other interesting thing we noticed that we missed the first time is this. Looking out from the window onto the wall of the barn there is a bunch of cute ferns, beautifully self seeded (as they are around five meters off the ground) into a ?

Tomorrow, being Sunday, I am going to take it easy and perhaps wander off into the hills along the river for a bit so I will start again on the to do list on Monday.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Goodness there sure is a treasure around every corner.... Enjoy Niel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a labour of love indeed but you're making a great start... do you have a resident photographer or just a tripod and self timer? Have a great day tomorrow, walking in the hills sounds great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. temporary photographer lol but she has now left!

      Delete
  3. Enjoying the posts and what you are accomplishing, looks so much better with the floors bare. The walls looks good to and know you and Susan can see so many possibilities! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your hike tomorrow and a spot of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great already. I know you and Susan will soon have it very homely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of all the blogs I am following, yours is my favorite.. I love that you're letting us follow along to see the changes and experience all the surprises along the way. Love your writing, thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so exciting !!! I am following with great anticipation .... enjoy the process 🤗

    ReplyDelete