Thursday, September 13, 2018

And so the journey begins!

Good evening folks.
Finally our journey begins in earnest. Yesterday we completed on the house and I was able to pick up the keys.
So, may I introduce you to our new abode, Allerton house, in Brough, Cumbria. This little gem is around 180 years old, built of stone with a rendered front. We also have, included with this, a barn and "garage" and an awful lot of work.....
 It felt like swimming through treacle to get to this stage, though when I really think about it, everything has gone smoothly and quickly in less than seven weeks from viewing to completing so we really can't complain.

Getting ready to open the door for the first time as the homeowner. Such a special feeling.

 You have to toast and celebrate with a spot of bubbly.

 Unfortunately my beautiful wife was not able to join me so, in anticipation we snapped this pic on our last viewing lol. Because we were not really planning on this move in terms of timing Susan will be remaining down South keeping the home fires burning for a while longer.
 I have been tasked with getting the "messy, dirty work" done so that Susan will be able to avoid all the dirt, dust and grime that I am bound to generate.
The first thing on my to do list is to strip back the property to the bare bones. This means stripping off all the wall paper, getting rid of the carpeting etc etc. (and begin the fun job of getting quotes for all the stuff that needs to be done that I can't do.) So, as I go through the process I will be sure to keep you in the loop, with lots of pictures too.
I am trying to avoid the temptation, not always successfully, of wandering through the house pulling bits and pieces off from everywhere and have chosen one room to begin on.

This was the room as we originally saw it. Fitted carpeting plus a rug and then that little funny piece of green rug on top. And walls covered in texture wall paper.  The door also looked like a flat piece of plywood had been pinned to the sides of the original door and I was definitely curious.

It didn't take long to begin to pull the paper off the walls. It was a real snapshot of the eras to see what was beneath - there are four different wall papers in this room.
Left to right is newest to oldest.... I have to say that I do love the earlier ones more. It will be interesting to see what the other rooms have underneath.
Tomorrow I will be getting to grips with the flooring and the door so I will be back.
Have a grand evening folks, I'm off to wander along the streams for a bit...

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea to do a blog of your progress Neil! I love seeing the old layers of wallpaper, real history. I expect you will have more interesting finds before you are finished x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your in OK. I rather like that earlier wallpaper too. Have fun stripping. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that went through very quickly! Have fun (ha) with the stripping back and making new... I like the pattern on that bottom paper, although not sure I'd want it all over the walls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you save some of the old wallpaper for an art project for the future? Good luck with it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I have already begun making little piles in each room to keep as, yes indeed, I do have an art project in mind....

      Delete
  5. Hi Neil, I had to smile when you mentioned ply wood over the door, I remember when my Dad put I think hardboard over the panel doors as it was the “fashion”.
    Can’t wait to watch your journey, looks an amazing place.
    Good luck and good for you following your dream, that’s what we did, moved to Spain, LOL

    ReplyDelete