Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Expect the unexpected.

Good evening folks.
A few days ago I decided to give myself a bit of a break from wallpaper stripping and began to removes some of the random hooks and bits from the walls. Everything was going pretty normally until I came to remove a piece of wood and hooks from the kitchen wall and a chunk of the wall came off with it. In the dim light I could see what looked like a recess..... so of course I began to pull more away and discovered a covered up shelf.

Complete with a selection of jars. cracked teacups and a few other bits.

In the end I removed the tiles and worktop to reveal the full shelf. I think it's pretty cool to have been able to open up this hidden space even though it now means that I have to redesign my kitchen layout if I want to keep it.

Personally I want to keep it so I'll have to pull out my kitchen designer hat, dust it off and create a space that works around it which will be a bit of a fun challenge.

The folks who did the work were also kind enough to leave a piece of plasterboard inside with a tongue in cheek comment about who did all the work and who "thought" they did, long with the date and a moan about low pay lol (some things never change, do they?) so this little space has not seen the light of day since March 1974. 44 years ago, wow.

Well, now that I've had a few folks over for discussion and quotes, I now know where I need to fully strip off the paper so it's back to the walls again, this time armed with a steamer ......

Wish me luck lol. See you soon. 

5 comments:

  1. That's very interesting isn't it? I can't remember how old the house is Neil but have you thought about tapping walls to find a hidden fireplace? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting find. How strange they didn't take the jars out, but fun you found a note. Thank goodness there wasn't a body in there, instead of jars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, I don't need to tap the walls to find fireplaces, Every room upstairs (including the bathroom) has the original stone hearth still in place and you can clearly see where the fireplaces were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - what an exciting find and I am sure you will find some use for the jars !!!! I look forward to seeing more finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in hysterics, just who in their right mind leaves jars on the shelf with a note? Gobsmacked!

    ReplyDelete