Thursday, November 1, 2018

Back to making a mess.

Good evening folks.
After the joy of spending time with the family last week it was hard getting back into a routine this week I will be honest.
Still, the list of things to do is not going to get ticked off unless I show up is it, so Monday saw me back at the house in my work clothes. Luckily I had some help in the morning as Sam and Alyssa came to lend a hand.
I am sure they regretted it after I set them to work in the bathroom stripping a particularly troublesome paper.....But I really appreciated the help so thanks guys.


While they were cracking on with that I had to brave the ladder to get rid of the last bit of wallpaper in the stairwell. (Heights and I are not the best of friends, especially when the equation includes a rickety stepladder)


After that it was time to remove the skirting boards throughout the house...
 You would not believe the mess that some of them were hiding underneath!

It turns out that this wall is one of the original lathe and plaster walls and not in the best of conditions either which means that this side at least will have to come out and be replaced. Unfortunately the doorway into the room won't allow for any additional thickness otherwise we could just reboard and plaster it. I'm sure that is going to be a fun and messy process.

Next fun job was opening up the fireplace in one of the bedrooms to clear out the debris and insert an airbrick as part of the remedial work that is being done on the chimneys. It's amazing how much stuff came out, including those metal bits. I started chipping away at the plaster too as that has to be taken back to the stone around the windows upstairs. More fun tomorrow.

It's funny, when we bought the house it was dated, tired and looking very sorry for itself. Then once I had stripped it back to a more natural look it really looked pretty with the distressed plaster walls and gorgeous wooden floors. Now it's time for the "it's going to get MUCH worse before it gets better" stage. Something which though you know it needs to happen, is quite a daunting period to go through.

See you next time for even more mess.
Take care.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you are (all) working so hard - keep thinking of that end vision... it will keep you going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and family are amazing with your hard work and vision for your new (old) home! This has got to be your biggest art project yet, thanks for sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were doing up our previous house which was an oldie too we couldn't afford to have new skirting boards so I had so improvise with the hole in one section. Ended up stuffing newspaper into it and then using poly filer cover the top and shaping it to match the ornate angles . Looked pretty good by the time I had finished. Yours is going to be a proper job. Have fun . Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete